Saturday, February 1, 2014

A Weak Criminal Heart

I will never understand criminals.

This past week on Guam, a series of thefts occurred at about twenty elementary schools. Some broke into offices and stole money out of desks, which were later reported to be fundraiser and pledge money from students, but all of them had their vending machines hit. Department of Education comments that they will now have to remove all their vending machines off of campuses, citing them as an easy target for criminals.

Well 1st off, I just would like to say that while I have never felt “poor” in my life, my mom was living under the poverty line when she was a single-working mother but she still worked hard enough to provide food every meal for me, so while I cannot say that I have been in a place where I have nothing, it has not been an extravagant or materialistic lifestyle.

But these guys/gals, who robbed from students, teachers, parents, and taxpayers, definitely were not devoid of any earthly possessions as they had cars to move between the jobs. What I just do not understand is the reasoning behind these acts; let me go through the potential planning phase.

“Let’s rob elementary schools.”

Ok, I hear this question, and the 1st thing I imagine is what is there at elementary schools that makes it a suitable target?

Books? Pink Slips? Pencil Sharpeners? Chairs and Desks? Chalk?

“No, the vending machines.”

Ok, the vending machines, the money inside of course. You mean the machines that kids put their nickels, dimes, and quarters. That seems highly inefficient, I know people who throw away coins nowadays. Also, isn’t always a big risk to break into these vending machines? I’ve seen Barbershop enough times to know that sometimes there is not always money in these things (ATM machines anyone), and then you end up with no money and a few criminal charges.

“ It’s an easy target, there’s no security at night.”

Ok, this is true. DOE has no money to pay their teachers and staff, nightwatch seems like a tall order…

That last statement triggers something in my brain, “DOE has no money.” The Department of Education, a public service that is supposed to be for all of Guahan, is something that has no bad in this world, sure they are bad teachers and administrators, but the cause for public education is something that is proven to be a successful model. See Europe and a few Latin American countries.

Why the hell would anyone want to vandalize, take, and plunder the schools that their cousins, friends, relatives, and relatives of friends go to?

Why do they want to hurt themselves, and the people who pay the majority of the taxload, the burden of more costs that it will take to fix up the schools and money in them?

Before I get on my high horse, I know that the fact that they are criminals is proof enough that they will not think about these things, such as class consciousness and the true cost of government ventures. But I think that is a huge problem, did they not watch Robin Hood when they were younger, or read it?

You take from the people who have things (Rich) and give it to the people who have nothing (Poor).

You don’t take it from the poor or kids, and give it to yourself, even if you have nothing as well. Whatever happened to Solidarity with the common man?

Or actions have consequences?

Adbuster’s mission for 2013 basically was drilling the idea that humans, as a race, do not know the consequences of our actions, the cost of human progress and economic advance and it might be too late to turn back. I hope people will start seeing that idea soon, or we should all hope and pray that there is a God to save us all.


---------------------------------

Also the fact that they are no Vending Machines for the kids is just outrageous, they are some not-so bad teas and drinks there; it’s just not all straight up sugar sodas that they can enjoy. I loved buying drinks when I was kid from those machines, not because they were tasty to drink (they were of course), but it was fun to purchase something from the leftover change of money you used. It is like the 1st taste of personal finances when growing up.

No comments:

Post a Comment